Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Fond Recollection at Christmas Time

Seren-Tranq

Just to send a heartfelt thank you for the lovely “Serenity” and “Tranquility” prints. The first cousins remaining in my maternal grandparents family met on Saturday evening in Alamance County to celebrate the holiday season. We seldom see each other but have fond memories of our grandparents’ old farm, where I grew up just outside of Greensboro. We were all seated in the living room after dinner, when my brother and sister-in-law gave each of us a beautifully wrapped little square. Each of us opened the gift, to find either “Serenity” or “Tranquility.” As you can imagine, there were looks of complete surprise and gasps. We had not seen the little china pattern in years. It was my grandmother and grandfather’s routine every day to have that on the kitchen table and she always made his coffee and used the creamer and pitcher and a cup and saucer--not a lot of pieces of it, even then. I must say that I cried because this was the first cup I ever had “coffee” out of. It was really cow’s milk with just a little bit of coffee so that I could be “big” and sit at the table with my “Papa” before he went outside to work on the farm. My grandmother cherished those dishes and she had very little. They lived a meager but very happy existence and we have such wonderful memories. Your artwork brought a flood of memories and wonderful conversation. ( With permission from Pamela F.)

No comments:

Post a Comment