Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Words of Inspiration

WilCr5X7

The following email has served as such an encouragement to Dempsey and we wanted to share it with you.

I don’t know if this email will find its way to Mr. Essick, but I really hope it does. I am not an art critic, I don’t even know a lot about the art world, but I do have my taste in what my eyes find to be art and beauty. I am an amateur physicist, astronomer, shade tree mechanic, and my profession is IT so art is usually the farthest thing from my mind, but from what I saw today, I need to comment…

Since I was small, I have seen all kinds of art from the guy who used to paint on public TV to museums where you can see the old world master’s pieces to the garbage that some call modern art or expressive art(just my opinion). From all that I have seen, the idea of true artistic talent comes from the ability to translate what the eye sees, as realistically as possible to a piece of canvas or paper. When I strolled through museums in places like Moscow, Tbilisi, and Raleigh I was truly amazed at the ability of those old world artists to re-create a portrait of something they were looking at. In my mind, anyone can splash some color and shape some ill-defined figures on a canvas and call it art – but only those with true talent can mimic what a camera can do. And you sir – are one of the later.

I was in my doctor’s office today and while waiting for my appointment, saw a print of “Wilson Creek” on the wall. I stood up, walked over to it, and stared for 15 minutes or so taking in every small detail – until the nurse called my name. I truly have never been so fascinated by a piece. The water, the individual leaves, the shading on the trees, all of it was all truly incredible. I honestly couldn’t believe that someone could take that much time and effort for that detail so I looked up your name on the Internet and came across your website where I was greeted with other examples of what you do. I am utterly shocked and speechless at your abilities. I would trade everything I know about physics, astronomy, cars, and IT to have a small percent of that talent!

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that your art is out there and captivating those like me that understand that there have only been a few privileged people ever to have lived on this planet that can mimic the lens of a camera and you sir are one of those lucky few! I hope one day soon to visit your shop with my wife as we are close by.

Sincerely,

Eric Scarlett

No comments:

Post a Comment